12 Nov Ayurvedic Recipe – Acorn Squash Delight
Ayurvedic Recipe – Acorn Squash Delight
Ayurveda explains a concept of “like increases like” – which means the increased cold quality of autumn and winter for example will also increase the cold quality within; hence the tendency to catch a “cold” during this time of year. Therefore, in order to remain balanced during the season we should consider nourishing warm meals. No better reason to enjoy this delicious Acorn Squash Recipe
– eat warming, soothing, and easily digestible meals
– eat foods which are primarily sweet, sour and salty in taste
– drink warming herbal teas such as ginger, cinnamon and cardamom tea
– keep warm and stay out of strong winds
– do regular yoga, meditation, and pranayama breathing exercises
“Acorn Squash Delight”
1 Acorn squash
1 tbs. of ghee or coconut oil
1/4 cup of pecans or walnuts
1 cup of cooked basmati rice
1/4 tsp. of cumin powder
2 tbs. of raisins
pinch of salt
1/4 onion diced
1/4 tsp. of ginger powder
1/4 cup of cilantro, basil or parsley
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Cut the squash in half and gut out the seeds.
3. Prepare a pie dish or baking dish with 1/2 inch of water.
4. In a small pan warm ghee and then mix all the ingredients, minus the rice, acorn and cilantro etc., sautéing for around 5 minutes on a medium flame.
5. Separately, bring 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Lower the flame and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
6. Take these ingredients, mix them all together in a small bowl and add them to the halves of the squash. Place the acorn squash into the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Test the acorn squash with a fork and when the squash appears soft. Turn the oven off and remove from racks. Let sit for 5 minutes. Garnish with the cilantro etc. and serve.
About The Author:
Vishnu M.Ayu, BA Psy., LMT, CSP, E-RYT, CS2, is a licensed massage therapist with more than 15 years of experience and Master’s of Ayurveda/Yoga from Hindu University of America. He is the owner of ‘Hidden Health’ Center and offers Ayurveda out of a few locations. To learn more about Vishnu and his practice you can find him at hiddenhealthcenter.com.