Shirodhara – The Most Popular Ayurveda Treatment
Shirodhara is undoubtedly one of the most popular Ayurvedic treatments in the west. The word ‘shiro’ means head and ‘dhara’ means steady flow. Therefore, shirodhara involves pouring a steady stream of soothing oil over the forehead and acts as a method of relieving stress to the restless mind.
The Moving Mind
The science of Ayurveda speaks of vata as being the basis of all movement of the body and mind. When vata is in excess [within the mind] it can result in anxiety, nervousness, depression, insomnia and many other forms of difficulty handling stress. With nearly eighty percent of all diseases in the west being attributed to stress, it is no wonder why Shirodhara has been considered one of the most popular Ayurvedic treatments of modern day.
Shirodhara is a classical and a well-established ayurvedic procedure of slowly and steadily streaming medicated oil on the center of the forehead while resting quietly on a comfortable bed. Other liquids like coconut water, buttermilk, milk, etc. are also used depending on the individual need of the patient. Ultimately, this procedure helps to induce a relaxed state of awareness, mental clarity, and even thought to help produce improved “psychoneuroimmunology”; the ability to handle stress.
Great Video – Discussing Just Some Of The Benefits Of Shirodhara
“Shirodhara is deeply relaxing and induces a relaxant state; these effects are mediated by the brain wave coherence, alfa waves, and a down regulation of the sympathetic outflow. This procedure induces a relaxed state of awareness that results in a dynamic psycho-somatic balance.”
Just Some Of The Benefits Of Shirodhara:
- Relieves stress, anxiety, depression, and insomnia
- Helps mental focus and concentration
- Balances VATA DOSHA
- Works on the cerebral system, helps to relax the nervous system, and balances the ‘Prana Vayu’ (life force energy) around the head
- Improves the sensitivity of five senses
- Reduces and relieves migraine headaches
- Decreases hair loss and fatigue and makes one calm and refreshed
- Deeply relaxes mind and body
- Releases negative emotions and thought patterns.
- Improves sleep patterns
- Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines
- Heightens the senses
- Increases spiritual awareness
- Pacifies vata reducing anxiety, restlessness, irritability, nervousness, fear & excessive thinking
- Improves mental focus and concentration
The classical texts of Ayurveda have explained that in order to treat a person with complete effectiveness, you must treat the person not as a set of parts, but as a whole.
CLICK HERE – To Learn More About Ayurveda