Is Health Really Just The Absence Of Disease?
The concept of health is so familiar that many of us never really give much thought about what it really means. The most common response to such a question is – “the absence of disease”. Is health really just the absence of disease? The ancient wisdom of Ayurveda sees each person as not being a set of parts, but as a whole and for one to be considered healthy – the body, mind, and consciousness must be balanced. More specifically, Sushruta the father of surgery and teacher of Ayurveda explained health as being when the digestive fire [“agni”] is balanced; the bodily humors [vata-pitta-kapha] are in equilibrium; the three waste products [urine, feces, and sweat] are eliminated properly; the senses function normally; and the body, mind, and consciousness all harmoniously working as one.
“Health is wholeness.” – Mother Nature
From this perspective, health isn’t merely the absence of disease but rather a state of wholeness. In fact, the word “heal” comes from the Old English word ‘helien’ which means ‘to make whole’. In other words, health is wholeness. We are healthy only when we are able to fully “digest” and balance life as a whole; our food, our relationships, our job, and all our experiences of life.
Ayurveda – The Science Of Rightful Living.
Ayurveda has described the underlying function of digestion and metabolism in our body as Agni [“Fire”]. Regarding the importance of Agni, the father of Ayurveda – Charak stated that when Agni of the individual is balanced then that person would be absolutely healthy and would lead a long, happy and healthy life.
Herbal Di-Gest is a blend of 10 ayurvedic herbs and spices that promotes healthy assimilation and elimination, so you won’t feel dull and heavy after meals.
Organic Digest Tone
Organic Digest Tone contains three remarkable fruits — amla, chebulic myrobalan and belleric myrobalan — and each possesses the superior rejuvenative and health-giving qualities known as a Rasayana. Because Organic Digest Tone contains three elixirs in one compound, it is considered one of the most valuable herbal preparations in the world. In addition, a fourth ingredient, cabbage rose, is added to support the synergy of the other ingredients and promote their effectiveness.
Ama – The Root Cause Of Disease
When the digestive fire “Agni” becomes impaired, metabolism and the body’s resistance and immune system becomes impaired. Even more detrimental, when digestion becomes impaired, ingested food remains undigested and accumulates in the intestines. This undigested material [“ama”] then clogs the intestines and other channels, such as capillaries and blood vessels due to its sticky nature which then retards the inner intelligence of the body – causing disease on various levels.
Elim-Tox-O is a gentle formula that helps cleanse your body’s natural purification systems without forcing, making it the recommended choice for people who have a tendency towards acne, heartburn, and excess stomach acid or who have a lot of “fire” in their physiology.
The Herbal Cleanse formula promotes normal, regular elimination and aids intestinal cleansing and efficient absorption of nutrients. It provides a healthy, long-term solution, unlike the harsh purge caused by drugs or constipation products. The herbs in Herbal Cleanse help promote natural, effective, regular elimination; aid cellular purification; balance cell moisture for smooth, clear skin; and improve assimilation and nutrition.
Health Is Balance
Knowing nature to be whole and complete, good health implies restoring that natural state of completeness and wholeness. According to the ancient teachings of Ayurveda, there are three doshas called vata, pitta, and kapha. We can think of these three doshas as the guiding principles that keep all our bodily functions balanced and healthy. Each of the three doshas are present throughout the body and govern our physiology and all activities of the body, mind, and emotions.
In managing any imbalance, Ayurveda determines which dosha [or combination of doshas] which may be out of balance and therefore takes steps to help normalize it, according to one’s unique tendencies. This process helps to seek out the root cause of any imbalance rather than treating mere symptoms.
Movement, motion and flow are always occurring in all parts of our body at every moment. This movement is under the guidance of vata dosha. When imbalanced, vata dosha can make one vulnerable to worry, anxiety, nervousness and insomnia. Likewise, imbalanced vata dosha can create irregular digestion; meaning very hungry at times and at other times no hunger at all. This can create a “hard” digestive tract which makes one vulnerable to experience symptoms of abdominal distention, flatulence, and a tendency towards a “nervous appetite”.
Organic Calming Vata Tea
A few sips of Organic Vata Tea will help your whirling mind settle down and your body relax. Whether at work, at home, or on the road, sweet soothing Organic Vata Tea can help you stay calm and alert. Now certified organic.
Organic Vata Churna Calming Spice Mix
Ready-to-use spice mixtures satisfy the six ayurvedic tastes considered essential for balance. Organic Calming Vata Churna is a blend of seven ingredients, including cumin, ginger and fenugreek.
Pitta dosha is involved with metabolism at every level of the body. For example, all transformations at the organ, tissue, and cellular level are governed by the principle of pitta dosha. Due to the predominant fire quality, excess pitta dosha leads to proneness of acid indigestion and heartburn.
Organic Cooling Pitta Tea
A delicious combination of fragrant rose petals and refreshing spices, Organic Pitta Tea is the perfect answer when you’re feeling intense or frustrated. Drunk warm or cool, it helps cool down your mind, body and emotions. Now certified organic.
Organic Pitta Churna Cooling Spice Mix
Organic Churnas are precise blends of spices and seasonings that include all six ayurvedic tastes. Sauté the Churna in ghee and add to your dishes; add some to soups, stews and sauces as they’re cooking; or sprinkle over prepared vegetables or rice at the table. Convenient, and mouth-wateringly delicious!
Every cell, tissue, and organ system are involved with providing structure to the body. The process of creating structure involves building, maintenance, and repair – which are all under the principle of kapha dosha. Excess kapha types leads to vulnerability at gaining weight. Since kapha is predominantly water and earth kapha can easily accumulate phlegm manifesting as bronchial or sinus congestion.
Organic Stimulating Kapha Tea
100% herbal Organic Kapha Tea is a caffeine-free alternative to coffee — great for early mornings or damp, cold days. Includes ginger, pepper and saffron. Now certified organic.
Organic Kapha Churna Stimulating Spice Mix
Stimulating Organic Kapha Churna is a zesty blend of ginger, black pepper, coriander and other spices.
“The Mind Body Connection”
Ojas – The Chemical Of Bliss
The relationship between the mind and body is complex as the body and mind are inseparable and inextricably connected. Everytime we have a thought, a cascade of chemical pathways are released which influences our body. For example, “Ojas” is the end-product of perfect digestion which nourishes and sustains various tissues [“dhatus”] of the body. Ojas is said to pervade the body and can be said to be the most important biochemical substance mediating the influence of consciousness upon the body. According to Charaka, when ojas is in abundance, it gives strength, immune strength, contentment, and optimal digestion.
It is important to maintain optimum health and thereby strong Ojas by a suitable diet and lifestyle. There are some practical ways to increase Ojas and it is also vital to be aware of activities that can deplete this vital essence of the body.
Ways To Increase Ojas:
· Moderate yoga suited to one’s constitution
· Pranayama (breathing exercises)
· Consuming fresh wholesome and balanced meals appropriate to ones state of balance
· Following a daily morning practice incorporating walking in nature, nasal drops and oil massages
· Certain herbs such as Ashwagandha and Shatavari can help in promoting Ojas
· A restful and appropriate sleep is vital to building Ojas
Activities That Deplete Ojas:
· Excessive sexual activity
· Physical and psychological traumas
· Intense and excessive vigorous exercise
· Overexposure to bacteria, virus and parasites
· Diseases such as cancer, chronic asthma, osteoporosis, arthritis, ulcerative colitis amongst others
· Excessive stress and an intense work schedule
· Excessive consumption of foods that have preservatives and additives and other chemicals
· Overconsumption of incompatible foods for one’s constitution
Health Is Happiness – Inner Pharmacy Of Wellness
It is now well known that the body has its own ‘inner pharmacy’ within and our nervous system produces substances and neuropeptides that influence our immunity and sense of well-being. For example, laughter is thought to reduce levels of stress hormones and increase the activity of immune cells such as T cells, natural killer cells and even antibodies. The inner pharmacy of all experiences are dormant within us and the release of these neuropeptides affects the whole body, moment-to-moment.
Stress Free Emotions supports natural resistance to emotional stress and fatigue. Diet, daily habits and ongoing stress are key factors that can contribute to imbalances in mind and body, leading to feelings of sadness and physical fatigue.
Positive emotions like love. laughter and appreciation release beneficial neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin which helps to create a healthy immune system.
Negative emotions like fear, hate, and anger release stress hormones such as cortisol, norepinephrine and epinephrine which can [over time] lead to mental depression and even result in the suppression of our immune system.
5 Simple Tips For Slowing Down
Rasayana is an Ayurvedic concept which has several meanings. The most basic implication is to increase longevity while improving the quality of life. There are many forms of rasayana in Ayurveda – one being “behavioral rasayana” which recognizes the effect of mind upon health.
1. Do less. It’s often a struggle to slow down knowing there are a million other things to do. However, make the conscious effort to do less while focusing on what’s really important while letting go of all the rest. Letting go often creates the space to fully digest the present moment and helps to bring clarity to see the next necessity as it arises.
2. Be present. Not only does one need to slow down but what is of more importance is the sense of awareness that naturally arises as one lets go of all other distractions. Therefore, by letting do – there is a spontaneous arising of awareness to the present environment within and around you.
3. Appreciate Nature. Modern living often keeps us confined in our homes and offices or traveling about in cars and trains – rarely do we get the opportunity to be outside in nature. Therefore, make the opportunity and find time to go outside and truly observe the beauty of nature. Take a breath of fresh air, enjoy the serenity of the clear water amongst the background of greenery. You owe it to yourself.
4. Eat Slowly. Instead of rushing to eat – take time to appreciate the taste and flavors of your food. Again, according to Ayurveda, food is medicine and optimal digestion produces nourishment to both the body and mind. Therefore, let food be the delight of your senses. Eat calmly, peacefully and in moderation.
5. Find pleasure in the simple things. While slowing down, becoming more present, and appreciating nature you will notice that it’s the simple things which give the greatest sense of joy. With your newfound heightened sense of awareness, even the flower or a single blade of grass amongst the vast field will give immense joy.
Deep Rest & Blissful Sleep
It’s nearly impossible to be healthy without adequate sleep. Sleep is essential for the maintenance and repair of the neurological, endocrine, immune, musculoskeletal and digestive systems. Rather, sleep is necessary for all systems of the body. Period.
Just some of the obvious benefits of a great night sleep:
- Enhances memory and mental clarity
- Improves athletic performance.
- Boosts mood and overall energy.
- Improves immune function.
- Increases stress tolerance
Deep Rest to support sleeping deeply through the night. This herbal formula is especially targeted for those who have difficulty staying asleep, waking up in the middle of the night. But it also helps those who have difficulty falling asleep and those who awaken early in the morning after less than six hours of sleep. The herbs in Deep Rest help you to sleep deeply throughout the night — and wake up feeling refreshed, ready to take on the day.
The herbs in the Blissful Sleep formula produce a calming, balancing effect on the body, mind and emotions. You’ll find sleep becoming deeper and more restful. And you’ll wake up recharged, vitally alive, ready to take on the challenges of the day ahead.
8 Tips For Sound Sleep
Stress management is perhaps the most important factor regarding health because no matter what diet you follow, how much you exercise and what supplements you take, if you’re not managing your stress you will still be at risk for modern degenerative conditions like heart disease, diabetes, hypothyroidism and autoimmunity.
What is stress?
“… any event in which environmental demands, internal demands, or both tax or exceed the adaptive resources of an individual.” – Richard Lazarus; Prominent Psychologist
Stress Free Mind
Stress Free Mind supports natural resistance to daily mental stress and fatigue. This potent blend of whole herbal extracts, powders, and minerals nourishes and supports the immune system, which is often taxed by everyday mental stress.
Just some of the effects of stress upon the body:
- Raises your blood sugar.
- Weakens your immune system.
- Makes your gut leaky.
- Makes you hungry and crave sugar.
- Reduces your ability to burn fat.
- Suppresses your HPA-axis, which causes hormonal imbalances.
- Reduces your DHEA, testosterone, growth hormone and TSH levels.
- Increases your belly fat and makes your liver fatty.
- Causes depression, anxiety and mood imbalances.
- Contributes to cardiovascular disease.
“Too blessed to be stressed.”
Just Some Of The Potential Benefits Of Meditation:
– greater clarity and inner calmness
– increased creativity and happiness
– improved sense of emotional stability
– reduced level of anxiety and depression
– improved brain function and memory
– reduced level of stress
… the list can go on and on …
Learn More About The Benefits Of Meditation
The ancient science of Ayurveda has described health to be a state of perfect balance. Ultimately, to revolutionize healthcare we must seek a state of balance. The ancient wisdom of Ayurveda provides a time-tested approach to a state of perfect health.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.