Lassi – A Refreshing Drink And Digestive Aid
Lassi is a popular indian drink that is refreshing and helps aid digestion. It is made with fresh yogurt and water and is generally produced with 3 parts water to 1 part yogurt ratio. However this can be changed according to one’s constitution and balance – a more watery lassi is easier to digest. The benefits of lassi include boosting immunity as it provides a great source of acidophilus and vitamin B12. It is best made with fresh yogurt and certain spices add to the taste and enhance the digestive effect.
Simple Lassi Recipe
· ½ cup fresh plain yogurt
· 3 cups water
1. Simply blend the yogurt and water together until smooth.
2. Put into glasses and serve immediately.
~ a pinch of salt and cumin blended into the lassi can have a more digestive effect
~ sugar is also used to make sweet lassi which can be a delicious and heat reducing drink in summer
~ consider adding mint or a drop of rosewater for a tasty treat
~ spices such as cardamom & sandalwood can also been added to lassi to enhance the digestive effects.
How do you make your lassi?
Feel free to comment below.
1. Yarema, T., & Rhoda, D. (2006). Eat-taste-heal: An Ayurvedic guidebook and cookbook
2. Dugliss, P. (2010). Enlightened Nutrition (1st ed., Vol. 1).
3. Lad, U., & Lad, V. (1997). Ayurvedic cooking for self-healing (2nd ed.).
4. Lad, V. (1998). The complete book of Ayurvedic home remedies.
5. Hospodar, M. (1999). Heaven’s banquet: Vegetarian cooking for lifelong health the ayurveda way.