The Divine Healing Digestive Drink
Takra or buttermilk, is a liquid preparation prepared by continuously churning yogurt in water. This preparation increases your digestive power and is often used in many health conditions. Takra is considered beneficial for many G.I. conditions such as IBD and Crohn’s disease as well as poor digestion, hemorrhoids, tumors, edema, diarrhea, anemia, urinary diseases and many other health-related conditions.
“He who uses takra daily does not suffer from diseases, and diseases cured by takra do not recur;
just as amrita [divine nectar] is for the gods, takra is to humans.”
– Bhavaprakasha Chpt 6.7
The Benefits Of Homemade:
This type of buttermilk is not like the fermented buttermilk you often find in the stores. Likewise, the properties of regular yogurt are sour and thought to increase water retention [kapha], may cause a variety of [pitta] skin conditions [i.e. acne and rashes] and is generally more difficult to digest. However, when you properly make takra, you lighten the properties of yogurt and remove the sourness so that it becomes a light and beneficial digestive drink.
There is no medicine better than buttermilk for treatment
of hemorrhoids caused by vata and kapha.
– Charaka Samhita Ch. 14
The Ultimate Digestive Drink …
1/4 cup yogurt
1 cup water
salt as per taste
1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
– Take 1/4 cup of yogurt into a vessel and add a cup of water.
– Add salt as per taste. Add 1/2 tsp. of roasted cumin powder.
– Mix the ingredients well with the help of a hand blender.
– Garnish it with coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chili and chopped ginger.
- Taste: astringent, sour and sweet
- Energetics: heating
- Post-digestive effect: sweet
- Qualities: binding, light, dry
- promotes immunity
- nourishes the brain and promotes intellect
- pacifies vata
This information is strictly for educational purpose only and NOT considered medical advice. Always first discuss with your primary care physician before considering any new health regimen.